Saturday, June 14, 2008

PiQ: Will You Be Missed?

Saturday morning is an odd time for email and it's never good. Kevin Gifford over at PiQ just emailed me to let me know that:

"It's with great regret that I have to announce that PiQ magazine has closed its doors. The July issue on newsstands right now is going to be the final one; we have already vacated the office. As a freelancer, you will be paid for any outstanding work I requested and you submitted, including that for the unpublished August issue. Thank you very much for all the hard work you've done for us. Hopefully we'll be able to work together again in the future."


Wow, call me naive but I didn't see that coming. Well I kind of knew, as did we all given the backlash at Newtype USA's closure that PiQ might be a mere stopgap, a way of stemming the inevitable for a few months but what does it say about ADV and their precarious state within the industry?

The thing is, I enjoyed working on the magazine: I got to write about Code Geass, Doctor Who, Torchwood and various other series. Indeed I seemed to be doing, thanks to my living in the UK, more on British sci fi than I've ever done here, mainly due to how helpful the American PRs were, particularly Devin at BBC America and Michelle at the Sci Fi Channel -they bent over backward to help me.

I'm sad there gone but I wonder, despite the lack of info, how long this has been on the cards? Things have been too quiet and yet it could equally have been an event that came out of the blue. At the end of the day, sadly, we freelancers are the last to know, which kind of reminds where we are in the pecking order. I honestly wish the editorial staff, particularly Kevin G and Scott all the best in whatever they do next and I hope to work with them again soon.

7 comments:

Starcade said...

This has probably been in works for some time.

Rumor has it that ADV has been bought out by rival Funimation. I stress _RUMOR_, but that would explain the sense of forboding.

Anonymous said...

Starcade, it'd be best not to start rumors unless there are sources and facts beyond just hearsay to base them on.

Maybe it could happen, but the first I've heard of such a rumor is from you. :)

Stephen said...

Man that really blows. I just picked up PiQ a couple weeks ago to check out the Lucky Star article.

Trina said...

That's really sad. I must have written them 6 times about putting someone from their PR or Staff in an interview or podcast for my website. Never received a single response. I wanted to help promote PiQ because I loved Newtype, but PiQ just didn't seem to want to market to us.

Anonymous said...

PiQ's demise is no suprise. Consider that it was presented as a replacement for Newtype, an anime/manga/jpop focused publication, yet it included a small fraction on the subjects and included more sci fi. There may be some anime lovers who love sci fi but the market is probably small.

PiQ was too broad.

As for ADV has anyone considered that they are focused on their main business, anime and manga and have decided to get out of the magazine publishing business?

Anonymous said...

I 'm so ticked. I am a subscriber and they haven't even had the decency to send me the last issue! I'm just now getting around to trying to find an addy to complain! Now I find out they've folded! Is there any hope I might still GET that issue? Anyone I can contact left? I really hate to leave my email here in the open so I'll try to check back. THANKS

Thomas said...

PIQ was not really a replacement for NTUSA. Don't get me wrong PIQ was a nice publication with a seemingly sound if broad plan to fuse different areas of media into a one stop shop. I am sad to see it go.

p.s.
Anyone now how I can get my money back for my two year subscription.