Calling themselves Barry Shitpeas should have given it away. Reading through the comment my heart sank; this is the sixth time someone has left an unpleasant comment in the last couple of months, usually it's anonymous. Fortunately I was able to track the poster - the IP address was registered from the University of Strathclyde and the visitor has definitely been here before.
I get to approve comments before they go live and there was no way I was going to publish this one, nor the previous one in which 'Anonymous' called me 'an ugly, fat c**t'. However it got me thinking so I asked my colleagues on Journobiz if they had ever encountered such trolls and yes, it seems I'm not alone.
So I'm going to say this once for the record.
1) This is MY blog, it is my corner of the internet and so I will say what I like, whilst trying not to libel anyone, of course. Don't like it? Go start your own!
2) If you wish to leave malicious comments, do bear in mind they will not be posted.
3) If you decide, through envy, to start questioning my ability as a journalist, let me direct your gaze right to my long and extensive list detailing all the magazines and websites I've written for over the last few years. I ask you, O ignorant trolls, who have you written for lately?
4) Yes, actually I do have an A level (okay, an AS level) in English, I also have several GCSEs in it (and eight other subjects), a 2:1 BA (Hons) in a completely unrelated subject and a post-graduate journalism qualification recognised by the NCTJ.
5) This blog is my opinion, I will post on subjects that interest me and sometimes this will descend into random rambling. I'm entitled to do so.
6) If you feel the need to stay up at all hours of the night just to post comments, at least read my blog and then try and post a comment on an entry related to your rant.
7) I welcome discourse and discussion but if you just want to be rude, sod off!
End of rant and hopefully end of trolls.